To ramp up my skills on Tableau, I decided to download parking data from the city of Toronto’s openData program and poke around to see what interesting patterns I could find. I ended up creating a Tableau dashboard that tells the story in the data. Tableau was quite easy to setup and I ended up downloading and installing both Tableau Desktop and Tableau Public. Tableau Public is publicly available but students can get access to Tableau Desktop by making the request here.
Background on Toronto City Parking Revenue
The city of Toronto issued just over 2.18 million parking tickets in 2015 and as of Dec 31 2015, the city had already collected $55.3 million in revenue. Interestingly, the number of tickets issued in 2015 was about 300K less than 2014 but somehow the end of year revenue realized in 2015 was still $2.1 million more than 2014.
Tableau – Show Me feature
After preparing the data, I was able to easily visualize the data set by dragging and dropping the columns into the appropriate field in Tableau. Its amazing how easy Tableau makes it for users to create beautiful visualizations. One of my favourite features was the “Show Me” window which recommends visualizations based on the fields you have selected. For example, if I selected “Number of Records” and “Province”, the “Show Me” feature would enable the map visualization (and others) because it understands that a location specific field has been selected.
Top 3 types of tickets issues were
- PARK-SIGNED HWY-PROHIBIT DY/TM (380K)
- PARK ON PRIVATE PROPERTY (324K)
- PARK PROHIBITED TIME NO PERMIT (321K)
Most likely times to get the following tickets
- PARK-SIGNED HWY-PROHIBIT DY/TM – 7AM to 9PM
- PARK PROHIBITED TIME NO PERMIT – midnight to 9AM
Outsiders who got the most number of tickets
- Visitors from Quebec stacked up about 30K tickets
- Albertans were the next highest at 8K tickets. There may have been more Albertans travelling to Ontario last year due to the bad economic situation in Alberta.
Likeliest time of day to get a ticket
- Lunch hour is when the most number of tickets are given out
Interactive Tableau dashboard
Can you find any more interesting facts based on the dashboard below? You can access the workbook on Tableau Public here
Want to learn how to visualize parking data onto a geographical map? Read my blog here